Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Ox fibrous meat

Last year we ate real ox tounge.
And this morning I simmered oxx fivrous meat with vegetables and seasoned them with soy sauce, suger and SAKE.
It was delicious than we expected.
Have you ever cooked ox fiverous meat?
If you have, how have you cooked them?

Well, Jan, I have a question. You told me "tail soup" was not made from real "ox tail". What was it made from?
When we go to YAKINIKU restaurant we often order "tail soup". I thought it had used ox tail.

When I was a child, I used to eat giblets(chiken's guts). I love the feeling of chewing, some part is really chewy, and some part is really soft. At that time there used to be many chicken shop hear and there.
Now I seldom see chicken shop (though we have buthcers), at a department there is a chicken shop. I sometimes buy steamed and seasoned chiken guts.

I love to eat chiken guts, but I hate livers of ox and pig.
Do you like them?

3 comments:

owenandbenjamin said...

They used to be the tails from ox but today the tails of beef cows are used.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mieko, Tornados said the tails of beef cows are used...even those might be difficult to find in regular grocery stores. I believe meaty lamb bones are also used by some. I cannot think where ox might be raised for meat here in the US today...it would be unusual to eat ox. We do occasionally see bison (buffalo) meat that has been raised for butchering. And, of course, deer or elk meat is common in states where they are hunted. Jan

Anonymous said...

About "chicken guts"....I think what you mean is what we call chicken livers and/or gizzards. Many years ago I went to parties where livers were wrapped in bacon, secured with a wooden toothpick and broiled. Party food. However, I haven't seen that for a very long time. Too fatty, I think, for most people today. My husband said his mother used to make scrambled eggs and chicken livers. The only way I know of to use gizzards is to chop them up very fine and put in gravy to serve with potatos and chicken. I think both of those are more popular within certain ethnic groups. A popular Jewish dish is chopped chicken livers served on crackers or bread.
Today I roasted a chicken but I threw the "guts" out because we don't like to eat them. Jan