Saturday, January 19, 2008

Coming of Age Day


In Japa we celeblate the youth when they become 20 years old. It is Coming of Age day "SEIJIN NO NI). This year my daughter got 20 years. My family celeblet her. She attend the ceremony hosted by my city, wearing FURISODE.

FURISODE is Kimomo, but the sleeves are longer than usual Kimomo. This Furisode was sewed by my grand mother. It measn I wore it when I got 20 years old.

At that time I preferd to pretend to be a boy. I never wore skirt. So I didn't have an idea to attend the ceremony wearing "KIMOMO". But a week before the coming of Age day, suddenly my grand mother brought this KIMOMO. I was really surprised. Though I used to strike an attitude of defiance to my parents, I couldn't do that to my grand mother. I accepted her desire unwillingly. At that time I "hate" feminin color like pink, sky blue. But the Kimomo was full of these colors. Anway I wore, and attend the ceremony. Of course my grand mother was really glad to see me.

This oppotunity gave me a change. I showed an interest to Kimomo. So I started to take Kimomo lessons. Thanks of lessons I can wear Kimomo by myself. When I go to my husband's house for the fist time, I wore this KIMOMO. (My mother in-law remembered it, but my husband didn't remember it.)

This time my eleder daughter wore it, and probably in two years my younger daughter is going to wear it again. My grand mother must be really glad.


Well, my grand mother brought up my father sewing and teacing Kimomo. (Her hsuband passed away in the war.) So she was really knowledgeable about Kimomo. This Kimomo is KAGA YUZEN. It is really valuable.


When I become a grand mother, I will not be able to do such a thing for my future grand children.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You may not be able to make a kimono, like your grandmother, but you will be able to carefully preserve it and pass it along to your grandchildren and retell the history of it and the traditions of wearing it throughout the decades. That is also an important talent to share!
You might think about making a written history to pass along to future generations in case you aren't there to verbally tell it.
Sometimes here in the US, a special dress that is passesd down to each generation has a small piece of fabric with the person's name and date of wearing it sewen inside the garment. I like that idea because the dress becomes a living history of a family. Jan

Anonymous said...

Jan, yes I try to preserve it for my futuer grand kids. So I'm going to take it to the specail laundry.
And sewing note is good idea. And you are rignt, dress that is passed down is a living history of family. I learned a good word.

Anonymous said...

First, congratulations to your daughter on becoming an adult. And congratulations to you, her parents, for raising her well.

Second, what a wonderful story about this kimono. I know that people spend a lot of money on furisode. I worked with one woman who requested that her parents buy her a car instead. And they did.

I think it is very interesting that you were such a tomboy and didn't like feminine colors or clothes. But I'm glad you were nice to your grandmother and respected her wishes. It's great that you then became interested in kimono.

What a beautiful heirloom gift for your daughter and her future daughters.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Ms. Stevens,
"hairloom present"-- I learned this word. thanks. Now I'm in cahrge of this FRISODE,-- it is getting on my hands. But I'll try to preserve it with the best condidtion as much as I can.