Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Golden Week













Now I'm in Golden Week, it means I have 1-week-dayoff. And my husband also has 1-week-dayoff. So we can have dinner together. (Usualy he has dinner at his office, and I have it at home alone--- since April)


So we enjoy "foods".


This Monday I had a meeting. The theme was "strawberry".
A friend of mine brought a big straberry plant pot. While we were seeing it, we reading books, listening to music, discussing, and "eating". I prepared some dishes and sweets for this meeting.
Strawberry dumplihgs, Strawberry madeleine, Strawberry gratin, and Straberry noodle. and I baked Strawberry bread.
The other day my neighbor brought bamboo shoots. My husband I love them. It is really seasonal food. Some of them I cooked, and the others I sent to my daughters and my mother with other spring vegetables produced in this area.
And, do you remember what is our (my husband and my) new hobby. "eating strange food".
This time I got this brown thing. Can you guess what it is? It is a pupa of silkworm. Of corse it is a strange food". IT is boiled down with soy sauce ( We call the food cooked by this way "tsukudani"Taste? strange. I'm sorry it is enough for a bite. And my husband is too,Fortunately my neigor loves them, he ate them --munch, munch.
The day after tomorrow we'll go to TOKYO to meet our daughters and our mothers.

2 comments:

Kharina said...

Hello Mieko,I hope you have fun in Tokyo. I didn't realise that the Japanese also ate bugs. Where does that silkworm pupa come from? A farm? Where do they pick them?

Strawberries and garden peas are now in season. It has been raining quite a lot lately here.

Anonymous said...

Me neither. Once upon a time people living in mountains, started to eat bugs to get calcium. According to the derections, eating three these bugs means eating one egg.
Sine old time, Japan was famous for making good silk. So many people used to keep silkworms, though now there are a few.
And just only food remains as strange traditional food.

Well, I made a strawberries pie! It is yummy!