Tuesday, September 16, 2008

fighting with a big pumpkin



A friend brought this big pumpkin to me. Though in your country it is a normal size, in Japan it is huge. It was too big to cut with a knife. So I cut it with a saw. Next I cut the hard skin (not peel), and put them into a big pot. Put some water, SAKE, and sugar and turn on the stove. A few minutes later it was soft and made paste.

Two- thirds of it, I put into some small prastic bags subdividedly. Using the rest of it I cooked soft pumpkin cookies and fried pumpkin daughnuts.

Now I'm planing that I let my students to make pumpkin dumplings at Halloween day's lesson.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

You were lucky to have a big enough pot to fit the pumpkin. I'm not sure I could have. That was huge!

Kharina said...

It is a big pumpkin. Ever made sweet pumpkin pie? Delicious!

Anonymous said...

To kharina
Yes it was a big pumpin, but the texture is alittle "bicha bicha" (waterly?), not "hoku hoku" (easily broken?starchy and flaky?).
So I made pupmkin paste.

Kristen, as you know there were 4 members in my family 3 years before. And when my daughters were little, my brother-in-law's family and my parents-in-law used to come 4 times year. So big pot was necesarry.

Anonymous said...

HOKU HOKU is "sweet and squashy", I think it is much bettr.