Wednesday, March 25, 2009

travel to Aiken in America -3-

What were we doing there?


Anyway my husband played golf almost every day, and drank (yes, he enjoyed all kinds of alcohol including his SHOCHU he took from Japan).


(SHOCHU is Japanese spirits distilled from sweet potatoes.)
Their residence is "on" the private golf course. My husband "learned" golf from Nick and his friends, and many English golf words; tend to a pin, fat shots, thin shots--- etc. Yesterday he went to work, he "taught" these words to his golf friends "boastfully".


I could listen to stories in the library, and even in the "park". At the library they always hold a small event and many volunteers were there.
Actually, my daughter was volunteer at the library, and many people do volunteer at the library and museums here in Japan.

And I do story-telling at the library and at some public nursery schools.
Looks the same

There is a different thing
.
In the Newsletter of the library, it is written that "Through the American Reads Grant Program, a student from the Education department of USC Aiken will be reading aloud to children in the children's department on Tuesday-Fridays, 3:00-4:30"
And the story-telling at the park is organized by Aiken Recreation department.
Volunteers jobs are organised by public department.
Now I'm thinking about "doing volunteer". Later I might write my opinion.


Anyway education system is really prepared almost for free. So I hope more people in Aiken use these opportunities more effectively. I can say in Japanese "MOTTAINAI" (what a waste!)





















No comments: