Friday, July 30, 2010

Yesterday's topic with high school students

Yesterday's theme was "travel". And the lesson started with the question "What's a lesser-known country that you're interested in learning more about?"
A student said "Bulgaria".
Probably the bland name of "Bulgaria Yoghurt" produced by MEIJI company made Bulgaria popular in Japan.
For me, I know one Bulgarian lady who came to study at a college in this area. 6 years already passed since she went back to Bulgaria, and unfortunately we don't keep contact each other. But I heard she published a book "Bulgarian Japanese idioms".

Well, there were some example of little-know places on the text book, Kenya, Sri Lanka, Venezuela, Peru, Bolivia, Fiji, Argentina, Belize, Denmark, Iceland, Latvia, Togo, Brunei.
Do you know all of the names? Do you know where they are on the map?

For me, The Incan ruins of Machu Picchu in Peru is a place I'd like to visit ---- but I don't like walk, so if it is allowed, to write concisely, if I can afford a large budget for my trip, I'd like to charter a privet jet and see it from the sky.

Where do you usually hear about new and different places to travel??
One student said "on TV".
Have you ever needed to stop for the night before continuing on a journey?
They haven't . But I remembered a thing. Both of them have an experience that their school trip when they were junior high school students were canceled on the half way because of surge in patients caught by flu.

And I asked "What's more important when traveling, speed or pocket money?"
It means " Which do you prefer to go to TOKYO by bullet train or local train on your budget"
Both of them immediately said "local train, I can get up early for such a event."

Well, Yuki and I are thinking which is better to go to TOKYO on our OBON vacation (summer vacation) by car? or by local train??
Our daughters will come back, and the last day of the summer vacation four of us will go to TOKYO to attend a family reunion party. Using car is the most inexpensive, but it means Yuki doesn't drink alcohol, and, he has to be a chauffeur not only for us, but also our mothers. And probably on the day we will be caught in a heavy traffic jam on the highway.
So we think using local train is better, but for my daughters probably will say "car is easier and comfortable".

No comments: