Friday, July 23, 2010

how to memorize English words

Yesterday night two high school students came to take my lesson. They are "really" funny.
First we try to study new English words.
I'll tell you a part of our conversation yesterday.

Mieko:This word of "publish" means HAKKOU-SURU (in Japanese, I explained); to produce a book, magazine ,etc. and sell it to the public.
Aiko; HAKKOU? I thought the books get rotten (she said in Japanese. In Japanese the word of HAKKOU has some versions of KANJI)
Mieko; That means to ferment. For example Natto is fermented soy beans, isn't it?
Haruka, The sound of "publish" is similar to "FEBREZE".
Mieko; You think so? Really??? It is ..... according to a website, it is a compound word of "fabric" and "breeze, but the spieling is "febreze".

Aiko; Hakkou has another meaning, growing light???

Mieko; it is to emit light. Do you know the word of "LED"? It is a shorten word of light emitting diode.


And the topics of yesterday was about food.

1. Do you think food has become safer or more dangerous in the last ten years?

Haruka says.

"I think it has become safer, because these days people really care about something synthetic, such as synthetic colorings, synthetic seasonings, we prefer to organic foods.

Aiko says

"I think it has become more dangerous, because our diet tend to be Western style, so we have more oil, fat, sugar .


What do you think of this question???
And other question is "How often do you eat dessert?"
Both of their answer were "every day".


Well, Well, I try not to take much juice, or sweets. And this hot weather seems to help cucumber s growing quickly. Almost every day I got some fresh cucumbers from my neighbors. Usually I give some of them to my students because my dining is usually alone except breakfast, so for me too many! So I pickled cucumbers for my dessert. I pickled them into "SYOUCHU"(kind of alcohol" & sugar (refrained sugar) instead of vinegar.

4 comments:

Helen said...

You could try making cucumber soup with the cucumbers your neighbours give you. It's really nice in summer. You can serve it hot or cold!

I also like making yogurt and cucumber salad. It goes well with hot (spicy) dishes like Indian curry.

Just a couple of ideas for you!

Mieko said...

Hi Helen, long time no "hear" you. I'm grad to get your comments. I changed my computer, at that time most data had gone. So I'm really glad to get your comments again. Well, cold cucumber soup, sounds good. I'll try it. On the other hand you should try to pickled cucumbers with SHOUCHU.

Helen said...

I'd have to buy some shouchou first! But it does sound interesting.

If you find a good recipe, cold cucumber soup is very refreshing. I like it and should probably make some this year but I'm a bit busy.

Congrats on the new computer. I've had a computer crash on me and it wasn't fun. Hope your new one is better.

Mieko said...

Helen, Good morning, and I've alreday got today's cucumbers from the neigbor.
And now I found the recipe of cucumber&yogurt soup. So later I'll try it. Have a good day.