Monday, September 06, 2010

Not QP, it was a kewpie doll.

Yesterday, it was Sunday in Japan, I went out to a museum to see the exhibit of Kewpie dolls.
What I knew about Kewpie dolls until I saw the exhibition, was a QP doll as a character of Q.P. mayonnaise company.
Now I learned.
Kewpie was born as a character in a picture book written by Rose O'Neill.
The first is picture books, next is a toy of Kewpie dolls.
And she dared to name it "Kewpie" to distinguish from Cupid.
Well, anyway in Japan Q.P. corporation started to use Kewpie as their character. I don't know from when? , but anyway since I was born, I've seen Kewpie character on a tube of mayonnaise. But to tell more precisely, the Kewpie of the character doesn't have wings. To tell the truth, it was not until yesterday that I knew Kewpie had wings. And also I knew yesterday, "QP dolls " was the wrong spelling, the correct spelling was Kewpie dolls.
But it can't be helped. In 2007 Q.P. company chained their logo mark from Q.P. to Kewpie.
So for me the familiar spelling was QP dolls.

Well I'm not so crazy about adorable things, like Micky mouse, Kitty-chan, Kewpie, etc.
But -- Actually they were really adorable. And I could get more information. It was really useful time.

When I came back from the museum to the parking lot, something was holding the antenna of my car.
Can you see it? A dragonfly.


3 comments:

Tarrah08 said...

I found today's post very interesting and informative as well!
I know of Kewpie dolls, as they were familiar sights many years ago, so I have seen one in my great-aunts' doll collection, but knew very little of their origins, so thank-you. :)
Also, the photo of the dragonfly made me smile as my daughter , until recently, was always very afraid of them, the noise they make when flying scared her, but I would always hold her and tell her they are good and friendly insects who won't harm you..they are helpful for eating mosquitoes. So now she is learning at 4 years old to appreciate them, and liked looking at your photo as well!

Mieko said...

In Japan popular insects in summer are drgonflies and cicadas. The "sound" of cicadeas is typical summer's sound. I heard that it's just noise for foreign people. What do you think of it? Is it a kind of nosie? Buzzing of flies is actually noise, though.

tarrah08 said...

I too, enjoy hearing the sounds of cicadas and enjoy listening to them through the summer months, my daughter isn't bothered by their sounds, but she is bothered by the buzzing of flies as well, I think the cicadas are still somewhat of a mystery to her, I have shown her pictures of them and we listen to their sounds but she isn't able to connect them yet I think because they are often out of sight.