Tuesday, September 14, 2010

UN in Switzerland

Yuki went to Switzerland to attend a meeting. You can guess where he went from this photo.
This "Broken Chair" is really famous.
I've seen the pictures, though this time it is also a picture.
I know the monument has a strong message, that is "opposite to land mines and cluster bombs"
So, it is not just an modern art monument.
On the other hand, I noticed, it is "a chair". For people who don't live in Japan, chairs are usual thing in their life. Or, chairs are necessary for their life. On the other hand using chairs is an imported culture yo us. Our original culture is sitting on TATAMI (not the floor).
So one of interesting points of this monument is using a chair.
Well, well, this time, Yuki bought something for my students. It would be a good opportunity to introduce UN specifically, I thought. Partly it made it, but partly I failed.
Elementary school students said "What is UN?" --- I gave up to explain, so I said "It is your homework, please ask your parents the question."
Junior high school students said "I've heard about it ---um---- international something"
Anyway they and I got a chance to check UN.
I checked UN on the website (in Japanese), it is difficult to explain it in brief. Yuki brought a brochure but it was just a map. Why he brought something to tell us about UN in Japanese--- probably if he had found a pamphlet, it would not have been written in Japanese. Probably in English.
If someone has it, please send it to me.
This time, he didn't have something special there except cheese fondue. At the first night he said to go out to "YAKINIKU" restaurant. (Korean style grilled beef restaurant).


No comments: