Saturday, December 18, 2010

I'm a "great" housewife!!!

How's the weather? It has been really really cold. Especially the day before yesterday it was really really really --- really cold. According to the forecast it seemed to have been like being cold February. And on the day the northan part of Utsunomiya they had a little snow.
Well, well, in Utsumomiya this year HAKUSAI (Chinese cabbage) seems to have a good crop. I got some bunches of HAKUSAI. It is two wonderful thing, but for two of us it was too much.
I asked some friends to share them, but they said "thank you but it's enough".
So I tried to make them pickled.
I cut them into three or four pieces. And I dried them for a day.
Next I put cut and dried Chinese cabbage, some salt, some dried red pepper, some salt, some dried KONBU (kind of seaweed), and some sliced of citron in turn into the vat. And put a stone on the vat.











Four days passed, I made it (So I put the photo on this blog.)




When I was opening the lid, one of my neighbor and her friend came to see it, so "Here, it looks good". I shared some of them.
And I shared another neighbor. Tomorrow, I'll go out with my friend. So I keep some of them for her.
The left is just suitable volume for two of us.








Well, this week I had individual interview with all mothers of my students. The last mother came here in this morning. I'm really happy to talk with them. Every mother , though that's natural, dedicate to their kids, on the other hand they seem to have a calm and non-emotional eyes to their kids, or I can say, they are not grand-conscious mothers of which I used to be one.
It is really lucky to me. And they also seem to rely on me as a senior mother. Thanks of them I also keep a calm and non-emotional mother to my daughters.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a lot of work, Mieko! My mother used to make sauerkrat from cabbage in much the same way. I wonder if they are almost the same. It is a sour, salty taste and originally, I believe, from Germany. At any rate, I still love the taste of it! Jan

Mieko said...

Jan, if you ate it, you would say "not bad". the reason why I wrote "not bad" instead of "good", I would recomend you to put some soy sauce, it is a Japanese way to eat something.