Thursday, March 31, 2011

Did you notice seeds of strawberries?


Have you ever planted some seeds after you eat the fruit?

When my daughters were little, we planted seeds of apples, persimmons, melons, watermelons, and loquats (Japanese medlars). Now we have two small trees of loquats.


Yesterday a girl, who is 8 years old, came to take my piano lesson. She said "every day I watch whether the buds of strawberries are out or not."


I asked "Strawberries? Where did you buy the seeds." In this season here and there we see strawberries seedlings. And I've never saw strawberries seeds sold.


She said "Strawberries have seeds."

The conversation with her was like a comic show.


When she was eating strawberries, she noticed the seeds and was interested in them. So she picked them out with toothpick, and put them on a scrub sponge as a flower bed.

And pour lots of water on it.


I checked my strawberries in the fridge.

After that we eat them.

While her talking made me calm, I imagined her mother smiling behind her.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Strawberries are the only fruit with the seeds on the outside. Did you know this? Trivia!! Jan

Mieko said...

That is JAN.
After I updated my diary, I checked it.
The red part is called "fake fruit" (I don't know the correct Englich word), and the thing whici is called straberry is the tiny dot which looks like a sesame, and a seed is inside the dot.
Yes, Trivia!!

mss @ Zanthan Gardens said...

Alpine strawberries can be grown from seed. I tried it once and the sprouted. But Texas is too hot to grow strawberries in the summer. The plants never flowered or fruited.

花が全然咲きませんでした。

Alpine strawberries are very small--similar to wild strawberries. Maybe I will try to plant them again.

http://amzn.com/B0013GQFNQ

PS. I looked up the term for strawberries. Botanists call them "accessory" fruit. The older term is "false fruit" or "spurious fruit". However, I think most people just think that strawberries are fruit. I did until today when I read your post.

Mieko said...

Thans mss@Zanthan Gardens,
The word "accessory" fruit sounds really cute and positve, doesn't it? Pineapples, and apples which we call are also "accessory" fruits --accordign to my book.