Thursday, March 17, 2011

much more severe situation

I know many people passed away, I know many people are spending the days in shelters without enough foods, fuel, clothes, and stuff.
And I know the nuclear power plant is not stable.

Today I could contact with a friend who lives in SENDAI, she is living. Her house broke, and now she is in a shelter. BUT she is a public servant, so she commutes to another shelter to help people.

I know I'm in the better condition than they. But the situation is more severe than we thought.
Now I realize, rolling blackout makes our life really difficult.
Today this area is blacked out from 1PM to 5PM. Even in the day, and even in the house, it's cold. (especially today)

Fortunately I have one kerosene heater which works with dry cell batteries. ( I have some kerosene heaters, but most of them don't work without electricity.) But now we don't get enough gasoline and kerosene, we have to use it little as much as we can. ( According to the report this problem will be solved next weekend. So I try to use the heater in the evening.)

So I'm wearing lots of clothes, and a woolen cap, and listening to the radio that is broadcasting special news. (Sometimes I try to listen to English program, or read English books, but it's difficult to concentrate studying. Though I seem to be calm, I seem to be unstable.And I try to clean the house more, but it's too cold.)

And today, I'm using this antique-HIBACHI. This is the HIBACHI of my grandfather's sister. She was a teacher of SHAMISEN (kind of Japanese guitar). It is used to warm hands. I decorated it as antique. Now it is useful. (Fortunately or unfortunately we have a little stock of coal.) It cannot warm the room, but at least I feel warm sitting by it.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say that I admire your strength and the strength of the Japanese people. I'm an American who lived in Utsunomiya from 2002-2003 as an English teacher. I have fond memories of your beautiful city and the people of Japan. My family is sending help via the Red Cross, but I wish we could do more. Please know that someone across the "pond" is thinking about you. Stay strong!

Mieko said...

Thanks for the comments. Do you know me????? Utsunomiya is OK, just it's colder than TOKYO, as you know.
Surburbs of UTSUNOMIYA or rural area got dammaged especailly KIYOHARA area. But now they are almost recovered.
Many people come into Tochigi from Fukushima to escape the nuclear power plant. And of course I know some people cope with it directly, I hope it will be stable as soon as possible.