Thursday, April 28, 2011

Wednesday's topics

Have you ever hosted a homestay student?
Yes I have had some homestay students who were junior high school students, high school students, and college students. Though college students seem to be kind of adults, other students are "kids" in my view. Kids are all the same, probably in the world. Usually they are energetic, and sometimes they are noisy. Usually they are positive, sometimes they are selfish. I like to be involved with them, it makes my life exciting and sometimes tired in good meanings.

If you visited a foreign country for two weeks, would you rather do a homestay or stay at a hotel? I prefer doing a homestay. The most interesting thing for me is "usual" life, not tourist attractions.

What's the most unusual thing you've ever eaten? --- Have you ever heard of SHIMOTSUKARE? It is Tochigi's peculiar food in winter. Many local people make it in winter at home. I tried various SHIMOTUSKARE, because it is said the taste is different with each house. but I'm afraid that all of them were not so food for me until now.


I bought this book recently. It is interesting. 30 families in a different country are introduced and most of things in their houses are shown outside.
We can guess what life they are doing --- it is interesting.

2 comments:

mss @ Zanthan Gardens said...

I have this book. It is a wonderful book! I think it is so important to see into the lives of people all over the world and this book certainly presents an interesting way of doing it.

Mieko said...

mss@Zanthan Gardens
thanks for your comments. In Japan these days the word "DAN-SYA-RI" is a little bit popular. "Dan" means refuse, Sya means throw-away, Ri means get away or let our obsession disappear.
Looking at this book, I really think of "my" life with the word "dan-say-ri".