Thursday, June 16, 2011

Wednesday's topic

Are you often late to meet people? Do you mind when people are late to meet you? Do you have any friends who are often late?

About these three questions, I thought about myself. Probably I'm punctual. And I don't like people who are "often" late. And around me the person who are often late is--- my younger daughter. So I had seldom my cell phone to meet my younger daughter. --- because she depended on the cell phone, and used to call me to say excuse why she wouldn't come on time. When she knew that I didn't have my cell phone, she tried to be punctual. And since she started to see job after her graduation, she is punctual.

Well, in March I wrote about two kinds of people, and I said people who are living in rural areas tend "not" to be punctual (or lazy). It might be from not only the circumstance, but also from the way of main transportation, it means "car". We can't estimate the time exactly when we transport by car. Though now I'm used to getting along with the local people here, even now some people make me surprised because they are late for meeting without reason, it means they come to the place lately with proud.

And though I mentioned cell phones. Now many people carry cell phones. How has this affected making and keeping appointments?
The good points are like this
It is easy to avoid not to miss each other on the way, or get lost, or stand someone up.
On the other hand , as I mentioned my younger daughter, some people are dependent on cell phones. They think that they can change the place and time anytime when they call by cell phones. And they forget the people who don't have cell phones, or the case if they don't contact each other by cell phones.

Though it is a usual thing, everything has both sides, doesn't it?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For most of my adult life, I "lived" by the clock, going from one meeting to another with people waiting for me. So, I developed a keen sense of respect for other people's time and also to have a productive day of my own. My husband, a retired dentist, also worked on a tight schedule and made a big effort to not waste his patient's time by waiting to see him. So, as a result..we both are still almost always on time. My college roommate was not and still is not on time to anything! When I arrange to meet her, I tell her a half-hour earlier so she will get there almost on time! Jan

mss @ Words Into Bytes said...

Interesting. I think it is rude to keep other people waiting so I try hard not to. (Also, when I was growing up the stereotype was that women are always late and keep men waiting; I vowed not to be stereotypical.) This means I'm always a bit early and have to wait. But I don't mind. I would rather wait a bit than be rushing around and stressed out because I am late.

Most of my friends are also punctual. If people are rude enough to be late habitually, then we don't remain friends.

I like cell phones. When my son and I are meeting each other we always call first to say we are on our way. And, of course, if there is an accident or traffic is bad, we call to say we are running late.

Mieko said...

Thanks the comments of both of them. Probably people in "our" generation are punctual, I think, except Jan's friend.

Yuki used to never mind the time when he was in the university, but since his businessman's life started, he changaed into a punctual person.
So to spend our adult life without problems, we should be punctual.