Thursday, November 17, 2011

black bean brownies

On Wednesdays three adults come to take my lesson. So yesterday morning I made black bean brownies for them. I think taking lessons is fun and having sweets together is also fun.(or much more.)

In Japan, when we hear "black beans", it means "black soy beans". But in America and Europe, it seems to be different. I found  a can of "black turtle beans" at a imported food shop.





According to Jan's recipe it is not necessary to add sugar. It was actually OK, but I wanted to make it sweeter, so I added peach jam Jan made. It was completely perfect.












 I told about black beans to the students. They showed interests to the can. So one of topics on the day was "beans". And coincidentally, a student brought a curious kind of beans. Do you know it?
We call it NATA-beans. NATA means a froe. The longer bean is about 25 centimeters long. This kind of beans seem to be a model of the story "Jack and the beanstalk". According to a book, when they are young, it means they are about 10 centimeters long, we can eat them as usual beans. but when they get bigger like this, they are slightly poisonous, So when they get bigger, we use them as tea after we dry the beans. Do I do that? Of course "not". it's troublesome. I put it on the shelf to show. Everybody says "what big beans are they".

No comments: