Saturday, August 09, 2008

pumpkin noodles

I got intereseting pumpkins(squashes?). They are called "SOUMEN KABOCHA". I heard it for the first time. "Soumen" means Japanese thin noodles usually we eat in summer, Kabocha means pumpkins or squashes.
I tryed to cook according the owner's instructions.
At first I peeled thickly and cut them into about 4 pieces.
Take the seeds out.
I boiled the water, and boil the pumpikins for about 3 minutes until the colors turned thick yellow.
AND---
I put them into cold water, suddenly they parted naturaly.
I drained the water,
Are you surprised? I'm really rusrpised. Yellow noodles came out.
The taste is--- plain, tasteless, but looks coolish , beautiful and "fun".

4 comments:

Kristen said...

In the US we call that "spaghetti squash" and it is a popular summer vegetable.

Anonymous said...

As Kristen said...our name is spaghetti squash because the cooked strands really do look like pasta. Try steaming the squash or even microwaving it (pierced with holes, first). Both methods use much less water, and it tastes better. I often use any type of pasta sauce over this to make a low-fat Italian dinner. Also, use a little olive oil or butter and shredded Parmasan cheese and chopped green onions on top. It's a vegetables that accepts many additions for flavor. Jan

Anonymous said...

"SOUMEN KABOCHA" is popular in the US, really???
I'M really surprised, because the name is really Japanesque, if it were called "SPAGETTI CAOBOCHA (in the Roman alpahbet), I should have thought it had come from foreing countires. BUT it is called "SOUMEN".

As I showed the photo, we ate it as Japanese noodles. I'll try to eat it as pasta.

Well, anyway names of vegetables are really fun. We often eat OKURA, it came from Egypt, and it is Egyptian -- I heard.

Kristen said...

Japan loves its katakana, but don't be surprised if vegetables with kanji were originally imported. Kabocha (pumpkins) are from Central America; imo (potatoes) are also from the Americas; ningen (carrots) are from Afghanistan.