Saturday, January 08, 2011

It was one year ago for us --- Coming-of-Age day

This week end it is a three-day weekend, and the Monday is Coming-of-Age day.
Last year it was a really busy week end. Now I'm relaxing at home after the busy winter vacation.


Did you remember that last December my elder daughter participated an exhibition.


The title is MOJYA-MOJYA (shaggy?) and slippers .


The titles are really easy to understand her works, aren't they?


The MOJYA-MOJYA seems to have a diff rent shadow by sunshine ---.
She didn't sell the works, but a person wanted, so she gave them to him and got an less available concert ticket. She is really lucky in this fiscal year.The contract will expire at the last of the March, we hope she will have an extent engagement. (Of course I want her to get a regular job. or to be a professional artist.)

Well, let me introduce a "real" art.









Jan sent me this china made in NIPPON, not made in Japan.
It means it's a valuable antique.
I'm not familiar with antiques. But the master at the tea room "KARAKU" where I play the piano once a month, is familiar with antiques. And he knows I like potteries. So he recommend to find something made in NIPPON when I went to AMERICA. According to him, in the period when Japan was called NIPPON, many high quality china were exported to show our high skills to foreign countries. Unfortunately I don't know how valuable it is, (next week I'll go to KARAKYU, so I'll be able to show it to the master.), but I love this simple design. And I know it has three legs -- it means it's antique, and I love this shape.
Thanks Jan I got a wonderful thing to celebrate to go into my 50s.



.

2 comments:

Tarrah08 said...

Happy New Year Mieko! (albeit a slightly delayed greeting) :) It appears that your New Year is off too a wonderful start! The bowl is very lovely, I love pretty bowls and tea cups and seem to always be adding to my "collection" ;) I do not have any Nippon, it is indeed highly sought after and very collectible. My sister and her husband spend their weekends going to different antique stores and shops and while I also am not sure of value, my "collection" consists of things I find visually appealing, I know they are always seeking beautiful Nippon and it can be quite valuable! Sounds as if your Winter vacation was most enjoyable and quite busy! Did you get to see many new places on your tour? How did your mother and daughters enjoy seeing all the different aspects, both past and present, of Tokyo?

Mieko said...

Untill about 1910, exported Japanese cine seemd to have a back sign of NIPPON, since then the sign was changed into JAPAN. Well, Our country is called JAPAN in English, but in Japanese we call our country NIHON, or NIPPON.