Thursday, May 19, 2011

Wedensday's topic




Yesterday's refreshment was oatmeal bread.

And the topic of the lesson in the morning was "allergy".
Does anyone you know have an allergy?
What is he or she allergic to?
Do you thing allergies are more common today than in the past?

As I told you, my daughters used to be allergic to something. Unfortunately we didn't find out "to what", not eggs, not flours.
But they naturally avoided taking junk foods. And my younger daughter M doesn't eat most of fresh fruits like apples, strawberries, pears, kiwifruits, and so on. According to her when she has them, she feels her tongue itchy. I've read an article, it says that such fruits have a special acid.

Now I learned a new word "vegan". I didn't know that it meant vegetarian.
Do you know anyone who is vegetarian? Could you live as a vegan for a year-- eating no animal products, including eggs, cheese, and milk?
I don't know any "strict" vegetarians though some of friends including me like to pretend to be vegetarian. It means we try to avoid taking oil.
And I can't live as a vegan for a year, but probably I can do for a half of the year.

How about you?

P.S Jan thanks , we enjoyed this video.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think oil has anything to do with being a vegetarian. Cooking oil is made from corn, olives, safflower, etc. Nothing to do with animal products.

Helen said...

I have a mild allergy to peanuts and I'm slightly lactose intolerant (milk and I don't get along well!)

I'm a bit like your daughter, when I eat really acidic fruit like strawberries and kiwi I get sores in my mouth and on my tongue.

I could never be a vegetarian and definitely not a vegan. I have a friend who is a vegetarian and I think it is difficult for her in Japan. Many foods have some kind of meat in them.

I do try to eat less meat and make sure that the meat I do eat is local-grown or less harmful to the environment, but I don't always manage.

Interesting topic Mieko!

Anonymous said...

I could never be a vegetarian, especially a "vegan." First, I don't subscribe to the philosophy and find it hypocritical in many ways. People tend to have very vague ideas about why they aren't eating certain foods but unless you are eating foods you grow yourself, you are still buying from farmers who use fuels to plant and harvest, from gas-consuming trucks who take it to market, from stores that use lots of energy to keep it cool, etc. Where are you saving the environment when you do that?
Choosing a diet for health issues is not unreasonable...allergies, for example. We had a recent house guest who doesn't eat meat...not for philosophical reasons but because of a disgestion problem. Jan

Mieko said...

Thanks fro your comment
Well, I know, Oil is nothing to do with animal products. In Japan, or some people around us sometimes say "I'm a kind of vegetarian, because I have to keep away from "fat" to lose weight". So they "pretend" to be a vegetarian. I hope my English makes sense.

Mieko said...

Thanks for your comments Helen.
That's too bad you don't have some fruits. But it can't be helped. My elder daughter "cant't" eat bananas. When she has a bit, she feels sick.
So I used to neglect to their preference. I used to prepare what kinds of fruits "I" wanted.

Now there are only two members, and Yuki doesn't pay attention to fruits. So thought it is interesting,these days I buy less fuirt than before.

Mieko said...

Thanks for your comments.
From this lesson I know stric vegans don't eat eggs.
On the other hand when my dauthers were little, they couldn't eat eggs because of allergy. (Eggs are not main reason of their allergy, but they might had been, so we used to avoid them.)
Without eggs, it was difficult to make sweets.