Thursday, May 26, 2011

Wendnesday topic


The refreshment was the cream puff and Godiva's cookie Yuki bought at an airport. To tell the truth I don't like Godiva's chocolate because it is a little bit strong for me, but I "love" the cookies.

The topic was "Home cooking".
Are the foods that you order at restaurants but never make at home? What's the most difficult dish you know how to make?

For me it was "(Japanese style" steak". Cooking stake is the most difficult dish I know how to make. Getting good meat is difficult, and if I got expensive meat at a department store, it is difficult to cook it at proper temperature. So when we want to have stake, we go to a restaurant.

How often does your family sit down to dinner together?
When both of my daughters were here Yuki used to have dinner at his office. And even on weekends he used to go to work. Thanks of this recession, he comes back to have dinner at home. On the other hand since my daughter grew up I've started night lessons from 8 PM. Now there are two members in this house, but unfortunately we have different time to have dinner each other. (It means each of us has dinner on my own.) So we have dinner together twice or three times a week.

And our common curiosity is trying new foods. I like to try new recipes. My friends tell me, or I search something new on the net. These days it is easier to find recipes than in the past.
If you cook, do you like to try new recipes? Where do you find them?

6 comments:

Helen said...

I often use eHow to find how to cook things. Last year I cooked steak for the first time. I usually don't cook something so expensive, but we found a couple of steaks on sale so I had to learn!

The biggest surprise for me was that the meat should be at (or near) room temperature before you cook it, especially if you don't cook it well done.

I'm not a great cook, but I am getting better! My poor husband only gets Japanese food when he makes it! Luckily, he's a good cook.

We usually have dinner together. On nights when I work late, my husband has a snack at home and then we go out for dinner. If I'm not working on a day I usually cook.

And, because I don't have a lot of cookbooks, I use the internet to find new ideas and recipes.

Mieko said...

Thanks for your comments Helen.
When we cook steak at home, temerature must be important. And I think the thickness of pan is important.

I know you have real curiousty about food, because the first comment in my blog was about "YUZU KOSYOU".

Anonymous said...

Cooking is one of my joys in life and I'm generally pretty "adventurous" and like the challenge of new ideas and skills. I can happily spend hours in the kitchen listening to an audio book and "creating." Many times I'll make something one time and then throw the recipe away and go to the next thing. I use the Internet often because it's quicker to find specific things but still enjoy cook books and "clip out" recipes from magazines, newspapers, friends, etc. I can almost always tell if a recipe will be good just from reading it. I always have a stack of printed recipes I want to try. Luckily my husband usually likes what I prepare! We find we dine out less now because we both prefer to eat my cooking. Jan

Mieko said...

Jan one of the reason why I'm planing to go to "your house" again is of course to talk with you all day, and I miss your home-made dishes. As you know I'm not a big eater, but I really love your dishes especailly "today's special".

mss @ Words Into Bytes said...

I don't cook because my husband enjoys cooking as a hobby. He gets most of his recipes from a magazine that we subscribe to: Cook's Illustrated.

Most of the recipes are for four people. So we eat them one night and then have the leftovers for dinner the next night. Usually we go out for dinner about once a week.

Although there are many Japanese restaurants in America now, there are two Japanese dishes that are not in restaurants here: okonomiyaki and ochawanmushi. I miss them!

Mieko said...

mss@words into bytes
Thank you for leaving your comment. I liked your diary.
Actaully there are only two members in my house too. So "I" often eat leftover of the breakfast for lunch or sometimes supper.