Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Yuzu Kosyou


Once a year I introduce "the" yuzu kosyou, my friend makes.

Also this year the yusukosyou appeared. Thanks of everyone, her yusukosyou is in the market, though only in this area.
This year it costs 500 yen, it has gone up a little, but it can't be helped. I hope all yuzu kosyou will be sold out.


Well, yuzu is kind of citron, and kosyou means pepper.

My friend plants yuzu and red pepper with her friend in their farm.

They make two types, one is green using young red pepper , the other is red using ripe red pepper.


My husband and I love them. They suit to every dishes; grilled fish, grilled meat, something simmered, soup, and of course rice balls.

Today I simmered GANMODOKI (deep fried tofu) with soy sauce and dashi, and I put the yuzu kosyou on it a little.


YUMMY!!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks good.
I know yuzu, I can buy it in the grocery store in America, but I have never heard of kosyou.
Is it a spicy citrus taste? Sweet?

Maybe you could convince your friend to sell some to me?
I like to try new things.

Anonymous said...

KOSYOU means pepper, but this case, but this case it means red pepper. So it is kind of paste of YUZU and red pepper.
And when red peppers are young, they are green. So there are two types, green one and red one. Grenn one is more soure than red one, and red one is more than spicy than green one.
Well, now in my garden green peppers (not spicy) are ripe, so they turn into red.

Helen said...

You sent me some of your friend's yuzu kosyou last year and it is really delicious! Thank you!

I like to put it in nabe.

Gusto used to have a hamburger dish with yuzu kosyou this year. It made it really yummy.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Helen, if you want "the" Yuzu-kosyou, e-mail to you. This time I can send them with the payment slip. a bottle is 500 yen, it costs a little bit higher than usual, but yummy!

Helen said...

I'm okay right now thanks! I still have lots leftover from last year.

Anonymous said...

Helen be carefurl its expiration date.