Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Calm everning

Yesterday Yuki was at home in the evening, and I didn't have lessons. So we went out to eat "eels". Did you know that yesterday it was "USHI-NO-HI" according to Japanese calendars,; the day of eels according to my own calendar.

I have to write the precise things.
We have the day of the ox in midsummer, and this year it was on July 26.
We have a habit to eat eels on the day to recover from fatigue because of this humid and hot summer.
(Please don't ask me more, anyway I love eels)

But it was too late. Not the time, it was just 5:30. All the eels at the restaurant were already reserved and sold out.
So we changed our minds, and went to a Sushi restaurant (not KAITEN-sushi). Yuki has been to there long time ago. But it was too expensive for all members of my family to go there together. So we used to go to KAITEN-sushi in Utsunomiya. Now we are two and we knew the restaurant was remodeled.
Yesterday it was a week day, not so crowded. We sat at the counter. (Can you guess? When we were children the people who were sitting at the counter at Sushi restaurants seemed to be stylish, real adults and old-customers.)
We had some sushi recommended by the master.

And we went back. After we parked the car in the garage instead of going into the house, we walked to a small restaurant to have some dessert and alcohol. Yuki had black beer and some vegetable snacks. I had cassis-milk and ice cream.

We went back to home at 8o'clock. After taking a "bath", we went to bed.
It was a really laid-back evening.

While I was writing this diary, I was making pumpkin (this morning I got from the neighbor) paste. I'll make pumpkin cup cakes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a "date." See, there are some advantages to having children be independent and being a "couple" again!
However, I can tell you without question that EELS are not on any menus in 99.9% of restaurants in the US. It's just another very big difference in two cultures.

Mieko said...

You should have aten grilled eels--- next time you come to Japan, it is one of "must" things.