Wednesday, April 17, 2024

trouble shooter 0416


I hope my translation makes sense. 

 Trouble shooter 2024/04/16

Advice seeker

My daughter who is an elementary school student says “School is boring”

I’m in my 40’s and a nurse. I’d like to get some advice about my daughter who is a lower elementary school student. She tends to be negative. Since she went to nursery school she has said “school is boring” every morning.

Now she goes to elementary school, but she says “Nothing good happens to me at school. School is boring. I don’t want to go to school.” She has friends, and there seems to be nothing particularly unpleasant at school.

I say to her “School is not only for fun, there you can make friends, study. For you it is wonderful thing to be able to go to school and to live each day in good health.” However my words don’t resonate with her.

Actually, when I was a student, it was difficult to understand why I went to go to school. I’m thinking how to talk to her about school.

Adviser (a philosopher) 

She is a lower elementary school student, isn’t it. It is the most difficult age. Without her will anyway she has to go to school. Children who don’t care about going to school are happy. But once they have a doubt that they go to school. It is nothing but unhappiness. They must think why they have to go to school.

For adults we know the reason. But for children, they don’t understand. Actually, you can understand the feeling of children. Your daughter is 7 or 8 years old. It is impossible to understand the reason.

So, it is wrong you think how to talk to her about school. What we should do as an adult, we try to change her surroundings to enjoy more for her.

Aymard Sartre who is a French philosopher said Angur Juman(engagement) is a way to participate in society actively. We, human begins struggle for free. It is a good point. You don’t let your daughter adjust to her current surroundings. You make more livable society for her. 

------------

I had an interest to this article. I really understand this mother’s worry. On the other hand, it is difficult to understand the advice of this philosopher. It is not specific. It is a superficial advice. 

It might be good to say that simply to her daughter “I didn’t understand why I should go to school when I was a student. Why? Let’s try to think about it together”. It is not necessary to say “if it is a heavy burden, you don’t need to go to school”. Because her daughter  goes to school as of now. And as parents, it might be good for this mother to find some different places which her daughter might show interest after school. It might change her focus not on going to school to other things. So, she goes to school as a habit. 

What do you think of it?





No comments: