Monday, May 30, 2011

Monday has started with a strong wind

According to the weather cast, Typhoon changed into tropical cyclone (I know this English word this time.) But it still has a strong wind and rain, sometimes thunder growls. Anyway Monday has started.

Yesterday I attended a Toast Master club meeting. Yesterday's sudden topics were that
1. Now it is in rainy season. Do you like it? Let us know tips to enjoy rainy season.
2. This summer it is said we might have rolling blackouts because of electric shortage. And many companies try to escape it. What do your work place try to do?
3. Because of this sad disaster, many events are canceled and we started restrained ourselves to call off events. Now summer is just around the corner. In summer usually we have lots of annual summer events. What do you thing of them?

I made a short speech about No.3 in English. But this time I try to make my speech about all of them.

1 Unfortunately I don't like rainy season. Rain makes my daily-work slow. But from some reasons partly I like rainy season. Because of rain I don't need weeding (though it become a more tough job lately). I don't need to air FUTON (though Futon is felt tobe a little bit wet.) I don't need to wash my car. So skipping such chores gives us free time to do something. We can stay home to read books, listen to music, watch videos, or waxing the floor. And I don't like go out in rainy days, so I cook something with the leftover in the fridge. So it is a good time to clean the fridge.

2 My lesson schedule doesn't change. But Yuki's working days will be changed. He will go to work from Saturday to Wednesday. It means Thursdays and Fridays are his holidays instead of Saturdays and Sundays from July to September. (All car companies & factories do that.) So we (Japanese people) share electricity.

3. I think if we can held events physically, we should do that. Especially summer events are important. And even in the Tsunami-devastate areas if they can held summer events (though the scale may be smaller) , they should to that. Not only financial reasons. Many people are looking for the events, and they'll go back their hometown. So in local area such events are really important. Firework displays, BON-dancing party, summer festival, such events make our nostalgia strong, and the connection among the people in the area strong.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Having alternate days off during the summer is a intelligent way of using electrical power and there are probably some other advantages...such as fewer people on the golf courses! If the wife worked outside the home, having different days off might present a problem but it's only for a few months.
I agree with your comments...sometimes, even in the midst of tragedy, we need to celebrate life and hope for the future. But, many "celebrations" have gotten so elaborate...it can all be simplified. Jan