Tuesday, November 14, 2023

trouble shooter 1107

 trouble shooter

I have lots of stress from what my mother in her 80s says.


I’m a business man in my 60s. I have lots of stress about my mother who is in her late 80s, and living at her house by herself. My mother is fine. A few years ago, she stopped driving, so my brother and I support her by taking her shopping or going to lunch outside on weekends.

She doesn’t get along well with my wife since we got married. In recent years my mother has become a hard talker more and more. My wife is scared. 

My father passed away five years ago. Since then, my mother sometimes says “your wife broke my tableware deliberately.” I took her to a clinic to see whether she had dementia or not. She was normal at that time. Then she asked me “Why did you marry such a woman?”. I got really angry, and I didn’t talk to her for a month.

Recently she said “I passed the test to keep my driver’s license, so I want to buy a new car”. She also hates the nursing staff at her residential area. She says “I can live alone”. I have lots of stress. What should I do?

  

Adviser (a psychiatrist)

I think that since your father passed away, your mother has changed.

From your letter, your mother’s cognitive skill is slowly degenerating. Because what your mother says recently is apparently different from before. At the clinic she was normal. Probably it is difficult to take her to another clinic or hospital, and to persuade her to use public nursing welfare. You need to keep your distance as much as possible. However, you are really worried about her who lives alone. It might be one way for you to recommend that she live in an elderly nursing home. If she doesn’t accept it, or listen to you, you go to the residential public office, and talk more specifically about her situation.


---------------------------

P.S I hope not to become such an elderly woman in the future.


No comments: