Thursday, March 01, 2018

season word 0301 scattered sushi

 
In Japanese it is called chirashi sushi. Chirashi means  scattering.
So the translation is not so bad, tough you should scatter politely.
 
If you get the source of scattered sushi, it is very easy to make it at home.
 
 


However, for me the problem is that it is difficult to cook a small portion.

Well, well, my mother used to make scattered sushi from scratch without such source.
It has gotten troublesome for her.
However she cannot bear without eating scattered sushi on March 3 (the day of Hinamatsuri).
So she orders special scattered sushi to her familiar sushi restaurant nearby.
Of course she said "I have to share scattered sushi for my grand daughters.)
Fortunately her granddaughters (my younger brother's son's) and T(my daughter) live next to the door.


This is a little bit easy way than to make formal scattered sushi.

2 comments:

AikenJan said...

That was a very interesting video, Mieko, and I learned something new about what is sushi. Like the presenter said, many non-Japanese think of sushi as rolls. It looks good...do you make it at all? Perhaps you can halve the recipe.
Another term we often use for such recipes instead of scattered is “unconstructed.” It is the taste of a more traditional presentation of popular (often cultural) recipes but cooked in an easier manner. For example, an old Irish recipe would be stuffed, rolled cabbage rolls. But, modern cooks use the same ingredients but might cook them chopped and in a slow cooker. The same thing for some of the labor-intensive Italian dishes.
I hope your mother enjoys another cook’s version of scattered sushi! Jan

Mieko said...

The word "unconstructed" is my preferable word,
However when I make it with my grand daughter, I think she "scatters" the ingredients I turn, it is her way toad sister to make it.
And, ugh she gave up making it by herself, she enjoys having made it by a sushi restruant chef,
Thanks for your comment, Jan.