Saturday, January 26, 2019

How dow you say "NIGAWARAI" in English?

As  you know writing this diary in English is the best way to improve my English skill constantly.
So I always thank to people who suggest mistakes, better expressions, etc.

Yesterday I used the phrase "a bitter smile".
And my friend advised me that an ironical smile  be better.

I thought again.
What I want to use a word in Japanese is "NIGAWARAI".  "NIGA" means bitter.
So I used the word "bitter smile" simply..
"NIGAWRAI" has broad meaning. However "bitter smile" doesn't seem to have as broad meaning as "NIGAWARAI".

I learnt bitter smile includes resentful feeling.
It is OK to use NIGAWARAI including resentful feeling in some cases.
However, when I used the word of bitter smile in the diary, I was not resentful.
So using "a bitter smile" was incorrect.

However I wouldn't include any ironies, even it sounded ironic.
So the smile I showed at that time was not an ironical smile.

Probably I had a wry smile. How about it?
According to my dictionary, the word of wry includes not only ironical, but also puzzled.

Or just it might be enough saying "I grinned".

No comments: