Friday, January 25, 2019

Strange KATAKANA Japanese

It is well-known that some KATAKANA Japanese words are strange.
The other day I found one.

 
 
At a café, I accidentally laughed at seeing this menu.
 
 
At this café, we can choose coffee with a cup or a "de-ca[a]-n-ta".
"De-ca-n-ta" is Japanese, and it comes from decanter.
I know it. of course "De-ca-n-ta" might strange for native English speaker, but it completely changed into Japanese.  This means, that here in Japan "Ka-RA[a]-Oh-KE" is of course karaoke, but when the word spread into the world, it changed into [ke(æ)-ri-oʊˈki ]. For us the two words are completely different.
 
Well go back to the main story.
I ordered a "de-ca-n-ta" of coffee. Then the waitress confirmed it to me saying "de-kya[æ]-n-ta".
I thought she had an accent.
But, it was my misunderstanding. On the menu, it was written as "de-kya-n-ta".
probably the second syllable "kya" sounds closer to the word decanter, but, it is "decant", not "decanter".
It might have no answer which is better "de-ca-n-ta" or "de-kya-n-ta".
Anyway for me it was the first time to see the Katakana Japanese word of "de-kya-n-ta".
 
The other thing is that.
I like listening to radio programs. These days I often listen to them on my iPhone.  Because I can listen the programs which were broadcasted before easily again.
The other day a strange thing happened. Suddenly the program stopped and iPhone siri application started. I didn't understand the situation.  I thought again. I got it.
The announcer said "shi-ri-ta-ga-tteru" ( it means wants to know". )  Shiri reacted the word "shi-ri".
I had a bitter smile.
 
 

No comments: