Thursday, November 14, 2019

At Japanese sweets shop

We went out to take a snack time outside.
We visited a Japanese sweet shop, there they serve coffee at very reasonable cost.
You might ask why we don't drink Japanese tea. It is difficult to answer it, anyway Japanese sweets suit to coffee.



Consumption tax system has changed in Japan.
When we eat something inside, eat-in tax is 10%, and we take them out take-away tax is 8%.
So this case we pay 10% tax on them, even though the sweets are wrapped.
 
However we like the atmosphere of the sweet shop. So I could make me really refreshed.
 
 

4 comments:

AikenJan said...

Most taxes are state, not federal here in the US so it is different depending where you live.
However, in our state it is opposite of yours. That is, if you take food out ( such as from a grocery store), you are taxed on those items. If you “eat in” the tax is less. If you buy an uncooked pizza, for example, it is considered groceries (no tax), but if you buy a pizza that is already cooked and ready to eat it is considered a meal and you are taxed!
Jan

Mieko said...

Thanks for your comments. Yes, I know the system in your country. Well, everybody says it is strange that "eating cooked pizza sitting on a chair in a shopping mall, the tax is 10%, because the place is a kind of restaurant, but eating it in our own car, the tax is 8%,because we take it away.

AikenJan said...

In reality, it is only a very tiny difference between 8% and 10% on a pizza. Therefore, we should eat and enjoy it wherever we want! LOL
I often get “hung up” (too obsessed) with things like this. For example, when I traveled frequently for business (in years before electronic devices!), I would go into a shop in the airport to buy a paperback book to read on the plane. I would think and think about the price and if I wanted to spend that much for a book....and then I would go next door and spend the same amount for a sandwich.
I ate the sandwich in minutes and the book would give me several hours of entertainment. I had to teach myself the “value” of things. Jan

Mieko said...

Thanks, Jan. I had a bitter smile. Yes, it is a tiny tiny difference. However------.
Penny wise, pound foolish
Or
Many a little makes a mickle

I know, it depends on the situation.