Friday, April 12, 2019

a story of a cafe & cake shop

One day I got a call from "Keiko-san".
Who is Keiko-san? She is the owner of a popular café & cake shop "Keika". As you can guess, the shop name comes from her name.
The place is nearby, and very famous and popular especially among young and young-at-heart ladies
All sweets are baked by Keiko-san, and the nice shop was designed by herself. And the coffee they serve  is made from her favorite coffee beans. The shop is not so big, but always full of people, every thing is  a little  bit expensive.

That call I got (mentioned above) that I got a call,  was that "Mieko-san,  raisin sandwich cookies you ordered have just been baked!".

I ordered  from her some special cookies.
Why could I do that and why did I do that?


Now she is a kind of charismatic pastry chef in Utsunomiya.
However I consider her one of the friendly lady-neighbors. And for her I am one of the women in the neighborhood.
Her mother's house is nearby. When she graduated from high school, she started a small shop and gallery at a room in her mother's house.  With permission from her parents she renovated the room by herself.. At that time there was few stores like that, and my daughters who were at kindergarten, were very interested in it. So we used to visit there.
What did we buy? At that time she made some small dolls which were probably around 100 yen, so my daughters could buy from their pocket money. And I bought imported chocolate . At that time it was difficult to get imported sweets. She would often say to me that her dream is to run her own café and serve her sweets.

After a while she closed the shop, and --- I didn't know what she did.
I sometimes saw her at a post office or supermarket and so on. Every time she greeted saying "Obasan" friendly.
Obasan  means -- a middle-aged lady. Well, well, if you use this word, be careful. It sounds good and friendly with respect, or rude depending on the relationship.

A few years ago  she opened her own shop nearby, but not  at her mother's house. She married and she had her own.

My image of her pastry was raisin sandwich cookies. But they are not usually on the menu.
So I ordered from her directly. She didn't bother to accept it, because I'm "friendly neighbor obasan".

 


Recently a  male neighbor man passed away.
So I wanted to bring Keiko-chan's sweets to his wife who is a member of my laughter yoga-club.
Did you notice that I wrote Keiko-chan, instead of Keiko-san.

My friend is older than me, so for her Keiko-san is Keiko-chan. She has known Keiko-chan since Keiko-chan was an elementary school student. My friend was very glad to get the cookies.

Well, well,  as I first wrote ,. the shop was designed by herself and very popular.
I went there to buy them in casual clothes. As soon as I entered into it, I thought my dress code was wrong. It doesn't need to be dressy, but a little more sophisticated outfit seemed to be suitable there.

And for Yuki, Keiko-san is Keiko-san, not a famous pastry chef. He is also interested in the place. ( the shop is open only from Wednesday to Saturday.)
So when he retires, I will take him there in a little bit "sophisticated" outfits. (So before going there Yuki goes to a clothes store  to buy suitable one to Keiko-san's shop.)
 

No comments: