Wednesday, April 17, 2019

English Haiku 0417

I sometimes introduce my Haiku poem in English.
And finally I joined "Hainku International Association"
Most events are held in Tokyo, so probably I hardly attend their events, but through their bulletin I can study English Haiku.
To tell the truth I have already started to take Haiku lessons in Japanese, receiving corrections through mail. So now I'm studying Haiku from ground zero. So I thought it was a good idea that while learning how to make basic haiku,  I translate my haiku by myself in English.

Let me tell you about haiku more.
As you might know, Haiku is the shortest poem in the world. It consists of three lines. In Japanese haiku, basically there are two rules. One is to include a seasonal word, the second is to keep the structure of 5-7-5 syllables.

Well, this time I knew. When we make Haiku in English, we have basically the same rule.
However, the idea of season depends on the country. Here in Japan  we have four seasons, so seasonable words are very important. But in some countries they have two seasons, or they have no season at all. So it depends on the country whether seasonal word is necessary or not. Or they might need a occasional word.

Although having a structure of 5-7-5 syllables is basic, the simplicity is the best.
So the most important structure of English Haiku is to consist  of three "short" lines.

I'll introduce my haiku about cherry blossoms.

In my diary blog, I wrote "this year I could climb up the mountain downtown while seeing cherry blossoms in the morning avoiding a crowd."

Cherry blossoms,  hearing morning radio   top  of the hill


I went to Tokyo and enjoied cherry blossoms with my mother.

Cherry blossoms,  saying  casually "fun"   my mother with cane


And this Sunday Yuki and I went to a nearby shrine to listen to RAKUGO (Japanese comic story telling. it was fun while it was really interesting and very academic comic story. The stories were not "funny",  they were interesting and it was necessary to understand the academic background of the stories.


 Cherry blossoms, with hidden academic ken,  the comic telling

If someone could tell me better choice of words, I'm very happy.

No comments: